Monday, April 16, 2012

Should I try Pilates?

I used to run, kickbox, play basketball, do yoga and had visions that I could jump start my finess regimine with boot camp.  Some friends swore by it... it's peer pressure, you do it early in the morning and you learn what you are made of.  COOL I thought... did I mention I'm a bit of an optimist?  The day before surgery to "remove" my foot hardware I thought I'd go to boot camp... you know just kick start my butt into gear...hehe. 

Then I thought about it for a few minutes... why risk injury... running, jumping, a lot of pushing my body in ways that probably wouldn't help energize me but rather remind me of how far I have yet to go? 

Yes, we all can deny reality... the truth is I'm still recovering from shattering my right foot, undergoing surgery with a plate, pins & screws, 4 months off my foot, doing some PT and then becoming pregnant.  Really haven't done much physical activity in the last 2 years besides "birth"- YES that counts (18 hours for the 3rd kid- heck yeah!) and lifting my kids.  Then I got my hardware out about 6 weeks ago and the REAL rehabilition began a few weeks after.  I found Tyler Physical Therapy in Montrose, CA.  It's where I go for physical therapy...and see the limitations of my foot... but I'm excited to do my part too to regain function; I have MANY years ahead and I've always been an active person... pilates seems like a good, calculated step for the "inner strength" I have been yearning for while rehabilitating my foot. 

Should I try pilates?


No matter your age or physical abilities, Pilates can help improve strength and flexibility.  Pilates exercises focus on developing a strong “core” while conditioning the whole body and improving body awareness, posture, and coordination.

While many who suffer from injuries or weaknesses find “traditional” exercise methods difficult, most Pilates exercises are low or no-impact, and are performed in seated or reclined positions. 

Pilates is so safe, it is often used in conjunction with physical therapy to rehabilitate injuries.  At the same time, Pilates techniques can easily be modified to challenge even the most well-conditioned athletes.

Among the many benefits of Pilates are that it increases your strength without “bulking” you up.  Pilates doesn’t typically increase your heart rate to an aerobic level, but you may find that strength training with Pilates does help whittle your waistline.

Make sure to talk with your instructor about changes in your body or injuries you may have.  Our Pilates instructors are trained to offer modifications if you find techniques uncomfortable.  Listen to your body!

They have a wide range of classes as early as 6am and weekends... there are only 4 to a class; to ensure special attention and improved technique. 

Try a FREE class on Sundays... see more Classes & Sessions here... they range from $15 to $10 an hour depending on quantity. 
A group Pilates mat class designed to challenge participants of every ability level. Pilates mat work builds strength, improves flexibility and enhances coordination. FREE Trial Class open to new clients only. Must reserve in advance by calling TPT at 818-369-7700. Openings are filled on a first-come, first-served basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment